Lecturer in Big Data Analytics and GIS
BSc Computer Science
MSc Virtual Reality and Multimedia
PhD Geographic Information Science
- Andrea Ballatore is a geographic information scientist interested in volunteered geographic information, big data analytics and geographic information retrieval, as well as media studies and the digital humanities. He is the coordinator of the Geo-Analytics and Modelling Group (GAM). Before coming to Birkbeck, he spent two years as a postdoctoral researcher and research coordinator at the Center for Spatial Studies, University of California, Santa Barbara, where he remains an affiliated researcher. In 2013, Andrea received a PhD in Geographic Information Science from University College Dublin. He has also worked as a lecturer at the Department of Computer Science at the National University of Ireland, Maynooth, and as a software engineer in Italy and Ireland. He has a blog on geographic data science.
Research and Teaching
- Geographic information science, place computing
- Big Data analytics, geographic knowledge discovery
- Volunteered geographic information, crowdsourcing
- Cartography, visualization, sonification
- Conceptual modelling, ontology engineering, Semantic Web, Linked Data
- Natural language processing, semantic similarity
- Spatial cognition and spatial language
- Emotion and sentiment analysis, opinion mining
- Media studies, digital humanities
- Internet geography
- Introduction to Spatial Thinking
- Geovisualisation and WebGIS
- Spatial Big Data Management
- Programming for GIS
I teach the following modules:
I am interested in supervising research in any of the topics listed above. Please email me to discuss your research plans. I also have a list of possible topics.
- A. Ballatore & M. Bertolotto (2015) Personalizing Maps, Communications of the ACM, 58(12), 68-74.
- A. Ballatore & P. Mooney (2015) Conceptualising the geographic world: The dimensions of negotiation in crowdsourced cartography, International Journal of Geographical Information Science (IJGIS),29(12), 2310–2327.
- A. Ballatore (2015) Google chemtrails: A methodology to analyze topic representation in search engine results, First Monday, 20(7), 1–20.
- A. Ballatore, M. Bertolotto, & D.C. Wilson (2015) A Structural-Lexical Measure of Semantic Similarity for Geo-Knowledge Graphs, ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information, 4(2), 471–492.
- A. Ballatore & S. Natale (2015) E-Readers and the Death of the Book: or, New Media and the Myth of the Disappearing Medium, New Media & Society,1–16.
- A. Ballatore (2014) Defacing the Map: Cartographic Vandalism in the Digital Commons, The Cartographic Journal, 51(3), 214–224.
- A. Ballatore (2014) The myth of the Digital Earth between fragmentation and wholeness, Wi: Journal of Mobile Culture, 8(2). 1–20.
- A. Ballatore, M. Bertolotto, & D.C. Wilson (2014) Linking geographic vocabularies through WordNet, Annals of GIS, 20(2), 73–84.
- A. Ballatore, M. Bertolotto, & D.C. Wilson (2014) An evaluative baseline for geo-semantic relatedness and similarity, GeoInformatica, 18(4), 747–767.
- S. Natale & A. Ballatore (2014) The web will kill them all: new media, digital utopia, and political struggle in the Italian 5-Star Movement, Media, Culture & Society, 36(1), 105–121.
- M. Cataldi, A. Ballatore, I. Tiddi & M.A. Aufaure (2013) Good location, terrible food: Detecting feature sentiment in user-generated reviews, Social Network Analysis and Mining, 3(4),1149–1163.
- A. Ballatore, D.C. Wilson & M. Bertolotto (2013) Computing the Semantic Similarity of Geographic Terms Using Volunteered Lexical Definitions, International Journal of Geographical Information Science (IJGIS), 27(10), 2099–2118.
- A. Ballatore, D.C. Wilson & M. Bertolotto (2013) Geographic Knowledge Extraction and Semantic Similarity in OpenStreetMap, Knowledge and Information Systems (KAIS), 37(1), 61–81.
- A. Ballatore (2016) Prolegomena for an Ontology of Place, Advancing Geographic Information Science, H. Onsrud & W. Kuhn (Eds.), Needham, MA: GSDI Association Press, pp. 91-103.
- A. Ballatore, T. Pham, J. Yin, L. Truong-Hong & J.D. Carswell (2015) Design and Development of Personal GeoServices for Universities, Information Fusion and Geographic Information Systems (IF&GIS'2015), V. Popovich et al. (Eds.), Lecture Notes in Geoinformation and Cartography 2015, Berlin: Springer, pp. 3–26.
- A. Ballatore, D.C. Wilson & M. Bertolotto (2013) A Survey of Volunteered Open Geo-Knowledge Bases in the Semantic Web Quality Issues in the Management of Web Information, ISRL 50, Berlin: Springer, pp. 93–120.
Complete and updated list at aballatore.space/publications
Selected Book Chapters
- AutoCarto (endorsed by the International Cartographic Association)
- MapInteract, ACM SIGSPATIAL Workshop on Interacting with Spatial Information
- International Workshop on Semantic and Conceptual Issues in GIS (SeCoGIS 2014)
- Social Media World Sensors (SIDEWAYS), International Conference on HyperText and Social Media (HT)
- E.U. COST Action IC1203, European Network Exploring Research into Geospatial Information Crowdsourcing (ENERGIC)
Program Committee Member of:
Honours and awards
- Best paper award at AGILE 2015, Lisbon, Portugal
- Best presentation award at W2GIS 2012, Tokyo, Japan