Career Coaching programme
Our Career Coaching programme lets you discuss and explore your career concerns with a professional coach. The programme offers a safe, non-judgemental environment in which you are enabled to find your own solutions. You may find this programme helpful if you:
- don't have a clear career development path
- need help recognising what motivates you, what your skills and values are and where you function at your best
- want to explore issues that could be having an impact on your work life.
- You can apply to the programme if you are currently enrolled on any of our courses and have not participated in the programme before. (Please note that you will need to be enrolled for the duration of the coaching sessions.)
How does career coaching work?
- We offer up to six free one-hour career coaching sessions to help you gain clarity and focus in your career development. The sessions will enable you to start to define where you want to go, what it is you want and how you can make it happen.
500 Internal Server Error- 皇冠体育-火博
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
- At the start of the process, the coach will draw up an agreement with you as a client so you have a clear understanding of what will happen in the sessions. They are likely to do the following:
- Work with you to identify negative thoughts and behaviour patterns that may be blocking your career development so you can address them.
- Use exercises that focus on a particular aspect of career and personal development, to highlight your values and skills and identify your interests, blocks and bridges.
- Ask you to complete small assignments between sessions. You will be encouraged to reflect and use this as a basis for understanding and action in your career coaching.
- The sessions are not prescriptive: the relationship and framework for the sessions will be individual to each coach and client.
- Our coaches have substantial professional work experience within a wide range of industries and sectors.
- Our partnership with Birkbeck's Department of Organizational Psychology means that all of the coaches on this programme are completing a Master's degree in Career Management and Coaching which, when completed, will meet the qualification requirements for entry to the UK Register of Career Development Professionals. (This Register is the sector equivalent of Chartered Status.)
- Respecting confidentiality:
- Coaches on the programme offer the highest possible levels of confidentiality, in order to respect your privacy and create the necessary trust for coaching.
- Your consent to collect and record information will be obtained in line with Data Protection legislation.
- Please note: the following laws limit the extent to which confidentiality can be maintained:
How to apply
- Please ensure that you have read and fully understood all the information about the programme before expressing your interest, including what it does not cover.
- If we receive applications where students are looking for advice and guidance, we will refer you to other more appropriate career services.
- This is a very popular programme and due to its intensive nature, we are not able to place all students who apply. Please bear this in mind when making your application.
- Applications for this year's programme closed on 15 May. Applications to express interest for the new academic year 2020-21 will reopen for eligible students in the autumn term.
- Please carefully check the eligibility requirements above, as only Birkbeck students can apply.
What the programme does not cover
- This is not personal counselling: the focus will be on your career concerns and not your personal concerns (although they are often intertwined). If you feel you would benefit from personal counselling instead, please contact our Counselling Service.
- The Career Coaching programme does not offer advice and guidance sessions: the coach will not give you the answers to your career concerns or tell you what career you should follow.
- Want to find out more about career counselling? Please email us.